The LRFA is a 501(c)8 nonprofit membership association and is one of the most economically stable Latvian-American organizations in North America. Founded in 1952 by Latvian immigrants, LRFA is dedicated to helping our members with unforeseen costs of medical care, final expenses, and natural disasters. We proudly support our Baltic community, in the US and abroad, and welcome members from all nationalities. We are founded on the principals of mutual assistance and trust. Our goal is to assist our members with services that make life easier.
What are the benefits of membership?
All LRFA members are covered for natural disasters (like hurricanes, floods, etc) and can receive monetary support. After one year of membership, members are eligible for a newborn baby gift or scholarships to learn more about Baltic cultures. In addition, LRFA offers affordable, member-exclusive benefit plans to help cover medical expenses. We try not to raise our fees very often, and keep increases to a bare minimum. Most of our plans have not had a rate increase at all in 2-3 years!
What are the requirements for membership?
We welcome members of any age who are U.S residents and who wish to support the mission of LRFA. Applicants under age 18 pay half the cost of an adult membership and must apply with a parent or guardian’s membership.
All members must abide by standard ethical practices and follow LRFA guidelines and regulations. Members agree not falsify or fail to disclose any info relevant to membership, benefit plan enrollment or claims. Members agree to pay annual dues in order to be eligible for membership benefits.
At any age and stage of life, we have membership benefits that help make things easier. From reimbursing your co-pays to grants for cultural camps, LRFA membership opens the door to a variety of options.
Do I have to enroll in a benefit plan to become a member?
No, benefit plans are optional. You can be a member or make a donation to support our programs at any time.
What are the membership dues/fees to join?
Annual membership is $30 for adults and $15 for children. First time applicants also pay a one-time additional $20 registration fee. Membership is on a calendar year basis and renewable every January.
Do LRFA health plans replace my existing medical insurance?
- The LRFA Health Supplemental plan H1 is limited to those with existing primary insurance and designed to work together to give you maximum coverage.
- H2 and H3 are available with or without other health insurance.
- All LRFA Medicare Supplemental plans require members to have original Medicare parts A & B.
- The LRFA plans can replace your existing Medigap plan, if you choose.
- All other LRFA plans can be used alone or in conjunction with other insurance plans. You can decide what works best for your needs.
What methods of payment do you accept?
- We accept cash, checks, money orders, ACH, and all major credit cards.
- We accept echecks/ACH (direct bank withdrawal) for one-time and recurring payments.
- Credit card payments are handled via PayPal, but you do not need a PayPal account to complete the payment.
When I donate, where does my money go?
When you donate to LRFA, you can decide! Many of our donors choose to support our Scholarship Fund, Emergency Assistance Fund, or make a general donation. Donations to LRFA are tax-deductible and are only used for charitable purposes.